deird1: Spike and Angel looking miffed over Buffy, with text "moving on; no, really" (Spike Angel moving on)
[personal profile] deird1
After far too many years, I have finally seen Superman Returns. And I have fic.

Title: Something You Find
Rating: G
Word Count: 630

Summary: Now that Jason's father is back in town, there's stuff Lois and Richard need to discuss.



Something You Find

On their second date, Lois matter-of-factly told him about the pregnancy, and that she was giving him a no-fault out. Not his child, not his problem. Because obviously no reasonable guy would want to start dating someone who was carrying another man’s baby.

But Richard was already smitten. Two dates in, God help him, and he wouldn’t even dream of walking away. So, he grabbed her hand, looked her in the eye, and said “The way I see it, family is something you find.”

He meant it, even back then.




He’s learned, over the years, what it looks like when Lois is about to say something important. Something that matters to her enough to make her feel vulnerable. It doesn’t happen often.

Tonight she’s sitting on the sofa, hugging her knees, and staring at the coffee table as if it’s a puzzle she hasn’t solved yet.

“Rich?”

“Yes, hon?”

“I need to tell you something. About Jason.”

Normal Lois is loud. Passionate. Full of opinions. Tonight, though, she’s barely audible.

Richard lowers himself into a seat, already tense. “Yeah?”

“He’s been… Last week he…” She shakes her head, and restarts. “When we met, I told you that his father was out of the picture.”

“…yes.”

“And he was.”

“Okay.”

Lois hugs her knees tight, avoiding his gaze, and takes a deep breath. “Last week, when everything was happening – Jason threw a piano across the room.”

This news is impossible to process. Richard blinks. “Uh… what?”

She looks him in the eyes. “He picked up Lex Luthor’s grand piano, and he threw it across the room.”

And he takes that in. What she’s saying, and everything she isn’t saying but is clearly wanting him to hear. All the implications of everything start tumbling over themselves within his brain, and he’s suddenly freaking out, because this is it, this is her breaking up with him, and he’s not ready.

Lois is still looking at him, waiting for his response. He clamps down on the chaos, and settles for: “Oh. Right.”

She breaks off her gaze, and moves her legs into a more natural sitting position. Then she says, off-handedly, “I really did think he was out of the picture.”

Richard nods, slowly. “So… Superman is Jason’s dad?”

Lois shakes her head emphatically. “You’re Jason’s dad.”

“But Superman…”

“Is his father. Yes.”

He doesn’t know what to say.

The silence stretches out between them, as Lois taps her fingers restlessly against the sofa cushion, and Richard tries to grasp hold of a thought, any thought that isn’t She’s leaving me for Superman, this is it, this is the end.

“…since the hospital.”

He missed the start of that sentence. “Sorry – what?”

Lois frowns, and clarifies. “Well, I probably will have to have a proper conversation with him eventually. Now that he knows, and everything.”

“And… what will you say?” Richard asks, trying to speak calmly.

“I’m not sure.” Lois looks at him, and asks, “Any thoughts?”

“About you and Superman?”

It takes her a few moments to answer. Then she says, carefully, “That was a long time ago.”

“So you don’t want to…”

“I kind of like the life I’ve built here. With you.”

“With…”

“If that’s okay.”

The tension leaves Richard’s body, and he feels himself break into a relieved grin. He reaches out, and grabs her hand. She tightens her fingers on his. They sit, quietly, for a minute.

Finally he makes a suggestion: “We could invite him over for dinner.”

Lois looks up. “What?”

“He should come and have dinner. And get to know Jason.”

“Would you be okay with that?”

Five years in, and he’s still smitten, God help him. “I guess he’s part of the family.”


Date: 2026-07-14 11:00 pm (UTC)
hnpcc: (Default)
From: [personal profile] hnpcc
Aw. I am very peri right now, and that made me cry.

Date: 2026-07-16 11:42 am (UTC)
frogfarm: And a thousand gay men wept. (Default)
From: [personal profile] frogfarm
Finally saw this myself and definitely prefer it to MAN OF STEEL. Thanks for the slice of life ;)

Profile

deird1: Fred looking pretty and thoughful (Default)
deird1

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
161718192021 22
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 8th, 2026 05:31 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios